Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Turnip Soup

I love to read old cookbooks. They can be fun and sometimes a bit scary (spam in jello?). But the really old ones can have some simple, but good food that can be altered to anyone's taste.

This turnip soup, I found in a Victorian era cookbook. In fact, I found it in a couple I read. It was a common soup of that time, apparently.

This is the basic soup, minus the potatoes. Other variations included meat and other vegetables. If I was to add meat to it, I would cook the meat in the broth, while cooking the turnips. Then add the turnips to the broth as directed.

I list beef broth in the ingredients, but I have made it with my homemade veggie broth and it has turned out just fine.


Turnip Soup

Serves 4

water
6 med turnips, peeled, cubed.
1 med onion, chopped.
2 cups beef broth
1 1/2 cup cream
salt
pepper

Boil the turnips and the onions until tender.
Drain, but do not discard the water.
Mash the turnips.
In another pot, add the turnips and the broth. If seems dry add a little of the reserved water. It should not be soupy.
Add the cream.
If not thin enough for you, add more of the reserved water.
Heat through and serve.


Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
Calories 221
Total Fat 11 g
Total Carbohydrate 24
Dietary Fiber 5 g
Protein 7 g


No comments:

Post a Comment